Gammon comes from a pig’s hind legs. The difference between gammon and ham is that gammon is sold raw and ham is sold cooked.
2 kg gammon
50 g butter, melted
5 apples, sliced
800 g roasting vegetables
60 ml (¼ cup) orange marmalade
30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
15 ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
1 red chilli
2 bay leaves
1 small cinnamon stick
5 ml (1 tsp) ground allspice
2,5 ml (½ tsp) black pepper
1 sprig of fresh rosemary
Preheat oven to 160 °C.
- Pour boiling water into a roasting pan, put the gammon on a wire rack over the water. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- In a pot over medium heat mix all the glaze ingredients together and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Increase oven temperature to 200 °C. Remove the foil from the gammon.
- With a sharp knife score the fat and brush with the glaze until well-coated.
- Return to the oven for 30 minutes or until browned.
- Drizzle the butter over the apples and vegetables, put around the gammon and bake further until done, about 35 minutes.
- Rest the gammon for 15 minutes before carving and serve with roasted apples and vegetables.
- If your gammon is too salty put it in a large bowl (or very clean bucket), cover with cold water and leave to soak for 24 hours.
- If you can’t do this, boil the gammon for 2 hours, then glaze and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.