This is a tasty way to preserve leftover pork. Cure it first then keep it in jars in the fridge for five days.
Preparation time: 10 min | chilling time: 1 day | cooking time: 2 hrs | serves 4-6
1 kg boneless uncooked pork
8 allspice berries, roughly crushed
125 ml (½ cup) coarse salt
handful parsley, roughly chopped
5 ml (1 tsp) nutmeg
crusty bread for serving
- Rub the pork with the allspice and salt. Cover and cure in the fridge for at least 1 day.
- Rub the cure off with paper towels or a clean damp cloth. Don’t rinse under water.
- Put the pork in a big pot, cover with water and cook until tender.
- Remove from the pot and reserve the liquid.
- Once the pork is cooled, remove all the fat and shred the meat.
- While shredding, reduce the reserved liquid in the pot over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add parsley, nutmeg and some of the liquid to the meat and mix.
- Put the mixture in a sterilized jar and close as tight as possible.
- Serve with crusty bread.