Ask your butcher to score the fat to ensure the meat cooks evenly.
Preparation: 5 min | Cooking: 3 hr 55 min | Serves 6
1 onion, quartered
2 carrots, roughly chopped
3 bay leaves
handful parsley stalks
handful thyme sprigs
8 black peppercorns
6 allspice berries, lightly crushed
1,5 L cider
whole leg of pork on the bone
45 ml (3 tbsp) golden syrup
10 ml (2 tsp) ground ginger
pinch of English mustard powder
juice of ½ orange
45 ml (3 tbsp) dark brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 120 °C.
- Put the onion, carrots, bay leaves, herbs, peppercorns and allspice in a roasting pan.
- Pour the cider over, then put a wire baking rack on top of the pan.
- Put the pork on the wire rack and cover with foil. Place the roasting pan on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then transfer the dish to the warm oven and bake for 3 hours.
- Mix the syrup with the ginger, mustard powder and orange juice, and smear all over the pork leg.
- Sprinkle the sugar on top, put back in the heated oven and bake for 45 minutes until brown and sticky.