Pie is great at Christmas time so try ours with its scrumptious pork and green peppercorn filling. You can make individual pies if you prefer.
Preparation: 40 min | cooking: about 2 hrs | serves 8-10
1,5-2kg stewing pork
salt and white pepper
15ml (1T) olive oil
1 onion, quartered
2 bay leaves
250ml (1c) chicken or vegetable stock
15ml (1T) olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
300-350g mixed mushrooms, cut into chunks
30ml (2T) flour
30ml (2T) green peppercorns, roughly chopped
grated zest of 2 lemons
handful of fresh parsley, chopped
handful of fresh coriander, chopped
2 rolls (400g) puff pastry
1 egg yolk whisked with 10ml (2t) water
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker and brown the meat in batches.
- Add the onion, bay leaves and stock, and cover with water.
- Cook under pressure for 1-1½ hours or until the meat is soft and falling off the bone.
- Remove the meat from the pot and retain the liquid. Remove and discard any bones, skin and excess fat.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pan and fry the onions and garlic until fragrant.
- Add the carrots and mushrooms and fry until done.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and mix well.
- Add 250ml (1c) of the cooking liquid from the pork and stir through.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Turn down the heat and add the pork. Add more of the cooking liquid if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and season with salt if needed.
- Take the filling off the heat and let it cool completely.
- Transfer the filling to a large pie dish or divide between two medium pie dishes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface.
- Cover the pie dish(es) with the pastry and cut off the excess.
- Tuck the pastry snugly over the filling and crimp the edges.
- Decorate the pies with the excess pastry if you like.
- Make a slit in the middle of the pastry lid on the pie(s).
- Transfer to aluminium freezer dishes and cover with clingfilm if you plan to cook them later.
- To complete, defrost if necessary, brush lightly with the egg wash and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.