This dish has a tangy, sticky and sweet flavour that will have everyone asking for more.
Preparation: 15 min | cooking: 2 hr | serves 6
2 kg pork shoulder
1,5 L chicken stock
6 cardamom pods, cracked
10 ml (2 tsp) coriander seeds
2 star anise
30 ml (2 tbsp) oil
4 onions, finely sliced
4 red chillies
2 cloves garlic, chopped
250 ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
250 ml (1 cup) sugar
2,5 ml (½ tsp) salt
- Put the pork in a pot over medium heat and cover with the stock.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer for 2 hours or until the pork is tender.
- Put the spices in a pan over medium heat and toast until fragrant.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the oil, onions and chillies to the pan and cook until soft and caramelised.
- Add the garlic, cider vinegar, sugar and salt and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the spices and simmer for 30
- minutes or until thick. Remove the cardamom shells and star anise from the onion mixture.
- Put the pork on a board and shred. Return to the pot and stir in the onion mixture and serve.