Pressing the centre of the patty helps the cheese to stay on top.
Preparation: 5 min | cooking: 10 min | Serves 4
500 g pork mince
salt and black pepper
15 ml (1 tbsp) oil
8 slices Cheddar cheese
45 ml (3 tbsp) water
250 ml (1 cup) mayonnaise
30 ml (2 tbsp) tomato sauce
30 ml (2 tbsp) orange juice
4 burger buns, split and toasted
- Shape the mince into 8 patties, and press your thumb in the centre of each patty.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan on high until it simmers. Add the patties and cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Turn once halfway through.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking time, add 1 cheese slice to each patty.
- Pour the water in the pan and cover with a lid to steam the burgers and melt the cheese.
- Mix the mayonnaise, tomato sauce, orange juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the burgers on the buns with the mayo. Serve with toppings and sides of choice.